Above all this course aims to be current, providing knowledge of the full range of substances that can be used problematically. This one day training will cover all of the essential knowledge as well as placing this information in the context of the service provision that the learner is working in.
It will help practitioners communicate effectively with clients about their substance use and it will help identify risk.
- Understand what the key substances of abuse are
- Understand the W.H.O. definition of the term “drug”
- Understand the 4 key classifications of psychoactive substances
- Understand the effects, both positive and negative of individual substances, including alcohol.
- Understand the main routs by which individual substances are used
- Understand some of the street terms used to name substances
- Understand the safe limits for alcohol and how to calculate
- Understand the legal classifications of the substances and legal penalty
- Understand the factors that can vary the effects of the substances cited
- Understand the dangers of mixing substances
Substance misuse training and development